Saturday 21 September 2013

Woman in Poetry




What triggers men to write poems is the same thing what triggers women to write poems. It is an act to be heard, to make a change and to express feelings.

Of all women poets I like, Tanya Davis is the one I love the most. She is not famous like Bronte sisters or Sylvia Plath.





Tanya Davis is a poet, storyteller, musician and a singer-songwriter and she fuses these elements together to make poems. Davis was born in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and move to Ottawa and later to Halifax, Nova Scotia. In 2011, she was named the Mayor's Poet Laureate for Halifax Regional Municipality. (yes I took it from Wikipedia)

She was famous for her poem, 'How to be Alone' in 2009. That was the first time I heard her name. I kind of like her style because instead of reciting poems like everyone else (with rhymes and metres), she just spoke it and best things was, in the poems she wrote, she is not stating how men should treat women (like most feminist poets did) but write whatever comes to her mind as a creative person. 

Since she is still new, she doesn't have many poems (she is currently working on her manuscript) but my personal favourite would be, 


Go and follow her twitter and be her fan. You will love her I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm falling over here, I promise.

Zi Kerry said...

Azze, Glad that you'd like her :D

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com